Roofing a mobile home isn't the same as roofing a traditional structure. Since most mobile homes have metal roofs, it can be a challenging repair project, but can be accomplished with the right tools and a bit of construction skills.
- Roofing metal
- 1 x 4 lumber
- Foam closure strips
- Rubber vent boots (optional)
- Tape measure
- Utility knife
- Drill with bit
- Begin by removing the old roof.
- Insulate the roof area with insulation. Use a utility knife to trim it to fit within the roof configuration.
- Replace the roof's 1 x 4 inch wood strips.
- They should be placed 24 inches on center across the entire span of the roof.
- Locate the rafters in the roof. Screw the 1 x 4s to the rafters with your screws.
- Measure the width of the roof and add 10 inches for the overhang.
- Cut your metal the size of the measurements of your roof.
- Lay the first piece in place. Check to make sure the overhang is even on both sides.
- Put on the foam closure strip on the end of the metal sheet.
- Use your drill to attach the metal to the 1 x 4 strip.
- Repeat the process across the roof until all pieces of metal are installed.
- Cut the holes for the vents and replace any cracked or rubber seals. If necessary, remove any larger vents before installing the new roof. Replace once the new roof metal is in place.
- Attach the trim to the ends of the roof to finish.
How to Install Metal Roof on a Mobile Home | MerchantCircle